Fish Shack Sweetcorn and Seafood Chowder
500g Fresh Mussels - Rinsed under fresh cold water & drained
500g Fresh Clams - Rinsed under fresh cold water & drained
500g Solander seafood - your choice of Prawns, Scallops, White fish, Salmon etc. Cut into even sized pieces.
150g Solander Hot Smoked Warehou broken into flakes
30 ml white wine
50g finely diced onion
10g grated fresh ginger
10g finely diced garlic
½ tsp saffron threads
300g plus 50g blanched sweetcorn kernels, preferably fresh otherwise frozen
1.2 litres milk approx.
Salt to taste
White pepper, freshly ground, to taste
Small handful of parsley
1. In a large saucepan with a tight fitting lid, fry the onion, garlic & ginger in the butter over a medium heat. They should be translucent not coloured.
2. Add the white wine, bring to the boil and add the mussels. Place the lid on and steam the mussels till they are open.
3. Remove the mussels and set aside. Discard any unopened mussels. Repeat the process with the fresh clams.
4. Measure the liquid in the saucepan and add sufficient milk to make up 1.5 litres in total.
5. Put the 300g corn kernels in a liquidiser and add a cup of the milk mixture above. Liquidise until a very fine puree is achieved.
6. Empty the liquidiser into the saucepan and bring to the boil.
7. Remove from the heat and pass the chowder through a medium sieve. Return to the pan. Add the saffron threads and let them infuse for 10 minutes.
8. Just prior to serving bring the chowder back up to heat and add your choice of Solander seafood, this seafood should only take a minute or 2 to cook in the chowder.
9. Finally add the 50g of corn kernels, smoked warehou, reserved mussels & clams and chopped parsley
10. Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve into hot bowls with crusty French bread.
Recipe & picture supplied by Mark Limacher from Ortega Fish Shack & Bar, Wellington.
Click on the below products to order: