Whole Roasted John Dory with Ratatouille, Lemon infused Olive Oil, Rosemary and Olives
4 x Fresh John Dory, approx 400g each (gutted)
10-12 Kalamata Olives
1 clove Fresh Garlic
1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Large Green Zucchini
1 Large Egg Plant
1 Green Capsicum
1 clove of Fresh Garlic
100g Crushed Tomatoes (tinned)
1 Small Onion
Parsley Stalks and Fresh Thyme
Salt and Pepper
This is a very simple dish but delicious and easy to prepare.
1. First make the Ratatouille, this will be finished in the oven. Cut the eggplant, zucchini and capsicum around the same size, about ½ inch dice.
2. In a hot pan brown off the vegetables in olive oil and put in an oven proof dish or small roasting tray.
3. Finely dice the peeled onion and garlic and sauté until soft then add to the vegetables.
4. Bundle the parsley stalks and thyme together, bind with string and add to the vegetables.
5. Heat up the crushed tomatoes and when hot pour over the vegetables and bundled herb, mix together and put in an oven for around 20min at 170 Celsius.
6. Remove and season when cooked, keep warm.
7. Take the John Dory and put fresh rosemary in the cavity where the guts were.
8. Place on a large baking tray (on baking paper so it doesn’t stick) and score the skin of the fillets to the bone, this will help the fish cook faster.
9. Season the fish with salt and rub with olive oil.
10. Preheat oven to 170 Celsius, put the fish in the oven and roast the fish until the meat is white and pulls away from the bone.
11. To make the lemon infused olive oil put the remaining oil in a small sauce pan.
12. Juice the lemon and cut off some zest.
13. Gently warm up the oil with the zest, olives and remaining peeled garlic.
14. Add the lemon juice and season with some salt and pepper.
15. Let rest and serve warm when the fish is ready.
Serve fish and warm plates or platters with Ratatouille, baste the fish with the infused olive oil and olives, garnish with fresh parsley.
Recipe supplied by Steve at Harbour Light Bistro.
Click Below To Order Our John Dory Fillets:
Whole John Dory